Orange County Youth Football/Cheerleading League
Parents Code of Conduct
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these values.
I therefore agree;
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
3. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and wellbeing of the athletes.
8. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
10. I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
11. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
12. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also deemphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
14. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
16. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
17. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
•Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or head of league organization
•Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by organizations involved
•Game forfeit through the official or coach
•Parental season suspension
•Player season suspension
Any Physical contact made by one person on another person at any OCYFL event will result in an immediate suspension pending an investigation by the board. Assault will be defined as a punch, kick, slap, spit or any physical contact upon another person.
Orange County Youth Football League
Chester - Cornwall - Goshen - Highland Falls - Marlboro - Middletown - Minisink Valley – Monticello
Newburgh - New Windsor - Pine Bush – Port Jervis - Southern Ulster – Valley Central - Wallkill - Warwick – Washingtonville
Coaches Code of Conduct
Coaches are role models. As such, they shall always conduct themselves so as to maintain the highest principles, integrity, and dignity of the game. The coaches must adhere to both the letter and the spirit of all rules.
With regard to Referees:
·I believe that Referees, just as coaches and players, are attempting to do their best.
·I will instill in my players and spectators a respect for that fact.
·I understand that my attitude can influence my players and spectators.
·I will display a controlled and undemonstrative attitude toward Referees at all times.
·Neither I nor my players and spectators will address a Referee before, during or after the game in a demeaning fashion.
Game officials, like coaches and players, are major participants in the game. Coaches are responsible for the conduct of their players and the spectators on their side of the field, specifically as it relates to the referee, coaches, players and spectators on the other team. Verbal and/or physical abuse will not be tolerated. The coach shall neither exhibit nor tolerate any behavior from others (staff, squad, or fans), verbal or otherwise, that might reflect poorly on an official. This includes, but is not limited to, arguing a judgment call in such a manner as to incite players and spectators against an official.
With regard to opposing teams:
I believe that the way my team conducts itself can also have an influence, for better or worse, on those we compete against.
·I will endeavor to make my team a positive role model.
·I will not coach, nor allow my players to play, with intent to cause injury to opposing players.
·Neither I nor my players and spectators will display hostile behavior towards opposing players.
·I will emphasize winning without boasting and losing without bitterness.
With regard to my players:
I believe that my role as a coach is to contribute to the overall success, physical, and athletic growth of the player through participation in football.
·I will endeavor to be a good instructor and a positive role model for my players.
·I believe that the score of a game comes second to the safety and welfare of all my players.
·I will endeavor to put winning in its proper perspective.
·I am responsible for understanding and competing within the letter and the spirit of the Laws of the Game.
·I will teach my players to understand and play within the letter and spirit of the Laws, as well.